NJCTE Spring Conference Call for Proposals!
Conference theme: Literacy for Living: Taking Care of Our Students and Ourselves
Proposals due February 11, 2022, via this form
Call for proposals: How do we care for our students, our colleagues, and ourselves? According to CASEL.org, social and emotional learning (SEL) is the “process through which children and adults understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.” The Spring 2022 NJCTE conference theme invites K-12 educators to share their expertise in creating and sustaining social and emotional learning through English Language Arts in their classrooms and schools. Possible ‘strands’ or ‘threads’ addressing this theme may include:
- ways that teachers bring an SEL mindset to their ELA work with students
- how students are encouraged to attend to and advocate for their needs via the ELA classroom
- methods that schools have used to respond to students’ needs using an SEL framework, particularly with a literacy lens
- how SEL is used to advance equity and inclusion work
- practices that teachers can use to care for themselves personally and professionally
- ideas for teachers and student-teachers on collaborating to invest SEL into their teaching
Proposals in a 45-minute format addressing this theme will be given consideration for inclusion in the conference program. Please be specific with your methods and descriptions.