Are you attending NCTE in Houston? Some of us are too!
Grab some coffee and join us on Saturday, November 17, bright and early at 7am. Connect with your NJCTE friends with an early morning convention conversation. We’ll meet at the Starbucks in the lobby of the Hilton, directly across from the convention center.
NJCTE board members will also be attending the affiliate breakfast on Sunday, November 18, and the secondary luncheon on Saturday, November 17. We’re excited that NJCTE board member and NJCTE 2017 Educator of the Year winner Susan Chenelle will be honored at the latter as one of the winners of the NCTE 2018 High School Teacher of Excellence Award.
We hope we see you in Houston! See below for details about sessions involving NJCTE members. The NCTE 2018 Convention program is available online.
Thursday, November 15
- (B.06) Literacy Leadership — Thursday, November 15, 2:30 p.m.-3:45 p.m., 352 A
Panel presentation featuring NJCTE board member Oona Marie Abrams.
Friday, November 16
- (C.32) Finding Their STEMinist Voice: How Informational Texts Can Inspire Girls — Friday, November 16, 9:30 a.m.-10:45 a.m., 372 C
Panel presentation chaired by NJCTE board member Sarah Mulhern Gross.
- (D. 16) Teaching Climate Change in English — Friday, November 16, 11:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m., 340AB
Roundtable session featuring NJCTE board member Patricia L. Hans.
- (D.53) Gatsby, A Raisin in the Sun, and Inequality Today: Nurturing Student Voices About Equity and Justice — Friday, November 16, 11:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m., 330A
Workshop presented by NJCTE president Audrey Fisch and board member Susan Chenelle.
- (G.17) Empowering Teachers, Empowering Learners: Technology and Transformation — Friday, November 16, 3:30-4:45 p.m., 372DE
Panel discussion featuring NJCTE board member Joseph Pizzo.
- (G.44) Creating a Climate of Social and Environmental Justice in the English Classroom — Friday, November 16, 3:30 p.m.-4:45 p.m., 350 E
Panel presentation featuring NJCTE board member Sarah Mulhern Gross.
Saturday, November 17
- (H.37) Reclaiming Conversations: Avoidance, Engagement, Advocacy in ELA Discourse Communities — Saturday, November 17, 8:00 a.m.-9:15 a.m., Grand Ballroom C
Roundtable discussion featuring NJCTE board member Oona Marie Abrams, along with Tricia Ebarvia of #DisruptTexts and many other educators.
- (I.43) Exposing the Truth: Empowering Students to Thrive and Advocate for Themselves Through Journalism and Public Writing — Saturday, November 17, 11:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m., 330B
Panel session featuring NJCTE board member Patricia L. Hans.
- Secondary Luncheon — Saturday, November 17, 12:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
NJCTE board member Susan Chenelle will be honored as New Jersey’s recipient of the 2018 High School Teacher of Excellence Award.
- (K.26) Choice and Challenge: Designing and Implementing Successful Literature Circle Experiences for High School Upperclassmen — Saturday, November 17, 2:45 p.m.-4:00 p.m., 330 B
Panel discussion featuring NJCTE board members Oona Marie Abrams and Sarah Mulhern Gross, along with YA authors A.S. King, Brendan Kiely, Nic Stone, and Gae Polisner.
- (L.02) Literacy Instruction Worth Fighting For: What Do We Advocate and Why — Saturday, November 17, 4:15 p.m.–5:30 p.m., Grand Ballroom A
NJCTE board member Oona Marie Abrams will serve as a roundtable leader along with NJCTE member Emily Meixner.
CEL — Sunday, November 18
This year’s Conference on English Leadership is chaired by NJCTE board member Kate Baker.
- (B.2) Melding Tradition and Innovation in the 21st–Century Literacy Classroom — Sunday, November 18, 5:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m., 320B
Session presented by NJCTE president Audrey Fisch and board member Susan Chenelle.
Monday, November 19
- (I.2) Tapping Local Talent — Monday, November 19, during opening session 8:00 a.m.-9:45 a.m.
Five-minute Ignite! session led by NJCTE board member Oona Marie Abrams.
- (F.5) Tech Tool Showcase — Monday, November 19, 3:30 p.m.-4 p.m.
Session presented by CEL convention chair and NJCTE board member Kate Baker.
One thought on “NCTE Coffee Meetup for NJCTE Members and Friends – Saturday, Nov 17 @ 7am”
Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually realize
what you are speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally talk over with my website =).
We can have a link change arrangement among us